Friday, July 22, 2011

And There It Is

In concept self publishing is very exciting. Fighting zombies, taking on a dragon, or hunting a cunning killer that's hunting you is also exciting... in concept.

When imagining something we often leave out the middle where all the details hide and jump to the ending. Zombies destroyed, dragon slayed, cunning killer doing life in prison... But thinking like that is a terrible habit and I give full blame to the workout montage from the first Rocky movie. Months of grueling, painful, hard exercise condensed to under a minute of exciting cut scenes and blood pumping music. All of America saw that and thought to themselves, 'Yeah, I could do that'. Come on, be honest. How many of you downed a raw egg because of that movie?
Shame on you Rocky. Shame.


My book is going through it's final editing. It'll be for sale on Amazon soon and I'm reading up about the self publishing process as Eye of the Tiger is thumping in my head and mental cut scenes of my climb to fame flash by. And then I read this in a writers forum, "Just remember that you're in this for the long haul." 

Ah, there it is. Can you hear that? The sound of my dreams crashing on the rocks of reality?
Curse you Rocky!


But hey, I'm a writer. It's what I love doing. There's all kinds of stories in my head and having the time to put them down on paper is what I want more than anything. Do I want people to enjoy them? Of course. There's few things that feel better knowing you've done something other people can enjoy.
As I think about it I understand I do this for the love of writing and as long as I'm doing something I love, I guess 'the long haul' maybe is that bad.

As always, your comments are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment